Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Chronic Benign Neutropenia of Childhood

Answers from the hematologist today.

He thinks AJ has a chronic benign neutropenia of childhood. This is a childhood condition where he has much less white blood cells than most kids.  They said it usually goes away with time and doesn't cause major problems (like other more serious conditions that affects blood cells...I don't even want to mention all the bad stuff I encountered on my Google quest while waiting for results!).

More lab tests are in his future on a routine basis.  For now, our assignment is to monitor him for signs and symptoms of infection, including fever, and if that should develop we will likely need to poke him again to figure out more about the cell counts.


Good to finally get answers on what's going on, but now I'll need to learn more about this to see what we as parents need to do to help him.

No comments:

Post a Comment