About 2 months ago, when AJ started getting real "active" while feeding, nursing got all kinds of more difficult. There was the biting, the pulling, slapping, the thrashing. Then, he refined some of his fine motor skills and consequently added a new set of special services to his nursing routine: finger dental exams, nose-picking (mine), digging, flicking, you get the idea.
IT'S ANNOYING. Nothing actually makes it go away, but I do my best to fight it every time. Holding his free hand. Offering him a toy. Keeping things real quiet. Being like a hawk and watching his every move to anticipate the next distraction.
Oh, and while we're on the subject of annoying. Nursing covers.
I know why I originally wanted one. I was one of those moms who totally judged and was like, "oh, I don't wanna one of THOSE girls." Inside my home, we're cools. Boobies out, no one cares cause it's my home. Out in public? no no no! I'm gonna be a 100% covered mom.
News flash. Nursing under a cover makes it 500% harder.
1. There's patterns on that gosh darn thing. Babies like anything with patterns. Babies smash anything with patterns.
2. Patterns are distracting. They'd rather watch that instead of eat.
3. Covers are hot. Babies are hot enough the way they are.
4. Covers cover things up. I don't know what the **** is happening under there.
5. Oh wait, I do. Because they don't stay on. The baby (insert violent verb here)'d it off.
6. It takes me 3 minutes to nurse a baby without a cover, but easily 15 to nurse one with the cover. Why bother?
Yeah, mine's been folded up neatly in a box for precisely one month now. I know what you guys are thinking. You're flashing people in public now?
No. No boobs for you.
When he needs to eat, we leave whatever we're doing and return to my CRV (future post coming up on just how awesome this car is). I actually keep a spare old boppy in the back to make things comfy. Being in an isolated environment also helps reduce the noise level, which is usually a huge factor on whether or not he feeds successfully. My windows are tinted. I figure people can complain about me nursing in "public" all they want, but the fact is, you had to look hard into my car with tinted windows to see that I'm feeding my son, and I'm pretty sure that crosses some sort of level of social appropriateness anyway.
There. no more stupid covers.
No comments:
Post a Comment