A few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with de Quervain's syndrome of the left hand. I was put into a splint that immobilizes the thumb, in how's that rest would fix the problem (it's really the only true fix).
It did not get better. Why? Because you try not using your thumb for four weeks when you have an eight month old turkey-sized crawling infant. Go ahead. Try me. My neighbor Mike, whose son is five weeks younger than my son, had the same problem. He also tried the splint, but as one wrist was improving, the stain was offset onto his other wrist... So he ended up with two De Quervain'd wrists. Yeah. No good. Later that works Myron's aunt told me the same thing, to seriously consider the shots.
I realized quickly that I had no way to win. I mean I could wait it out... And ruin both wrists. There's never going to be a time when I can really rest these poor wrists ever again... So there. I scheduled an injection the day before leaving to vacation. Going in I had no expectations. Just a lot of hope that my quality of life would get a little bit better.
Oh. My. god. Best decision of my parenting career. I will say, the procedure is very freaky, so don't watch (3.5 ml of fluid going into a small part of your wrist!) It hurts like hell for a few days ( again because of the swelling and the giant needle), but now it's SOOOO much better! I still wear a brace occasionally because I don't want to mess it up, but glad this happened before my vacation. Now I can enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment