Meanwhile, AJ went through a growth spurt and ate like a madman for several days. Sometime during that growth spurt, we developed thrush. At first, I was just convinced that the pain I was experiencing (read: burning like a bad bad bad sunburn) was related to a poor latch. But then I realized that his latch had not changed at all! After some research on the internet, I found out that I was experiencing some pretty typical symptoms of thrush :( So now we're on a treatment - AJ for 7 days, me for 10. Adding feeding a newborn medicine to the list of things we need to do everyday...has not exactly been easy.
Did I mention he has crazy explosive gas? You guessed it, from the oversupply issue. Makes sense, when you're eating like a barracuda and gulping down gas with every inhale, you'd be gassy too. Result? We spend hours on end every day soothing his tummy troubles. Hours is probably generous. Whatever, it seems like more time than I actually feed him.
Today, after 6 diapers, 2 soiled outfits, multiple dirtied burp cloths, and an infant who wouldn't stop crying non-stop for an hour later, I surrender. No more expectations. Let's just try to get through the day. And count our blessings. So here's the things I was able to do today that I am super proud of:
1) getting time to eat a snack (polished off some delicious mango salsa)
2) getting my baby to nap twice (and making peace with the idea of finally giving my baby the pacifier, at 4 weeks).
3) putting him in moby, giving him the pacifier, and taking him out to a walk in the neighborhood
4) found some encouragement on the internet to keep me from bawling my eyes out when he was bawling his eyes out http://simplemom.net/an-open-letter-to-first-time-mamas-of-newborns/
5) making it 7 hours so far without calling my husband and begging him to come home to help.
I need to remind myself that I'm doing a good job, I really do. I can do this, cause I know that many other moms out there have. My house may not be perfect anymore. My newborn may have spit up stains on him still, but WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS!!!!!
To all other new moms out there, I'm right there with you, you guys can do it too!
No comments:
Post a Comment