Thursday, May 23, 2013

Running on...gas

These last few days have got to be some of the darkest so far.

For a variety of reasons (1. immature GI system 2. mom's overactive letdown  3. maybe something in mom's food 4. him eating like a barracuda when he does eat) AJ has some pretty bad gas pains.  I mean bad as in, he wakes himself up in the middle of the night (despite being swaddled as tight as possible) crying like a bee's stung him.

He's been waking up hour, angry and in pain.

As far as I know (from both research on the internet and also talking to people), there's a few things you can do to prevent it, but once he's got gas pains, the main thing is time passing so he can pass the gas.

So here's what we've tried, and will keep trying:

1. Feeding when he's calm
Pretty straightforward. The less he's fretting when he's eating, the less gas he will swallow. I'm going to try to give him a pacifier right beforehand for a minute or so if he's already crying to calm him down.

2. Better positioning
Using gravity to make sure that milk goes down in the gullet while gas remains up.  I loathe the football hold position, so I think our best bet here is trying to elevate his head while we do our usual cross cradle position.

3. Better burping
more frequently and immediately after feeding (which we already do), not giving up so easily, and hopefully #2 will help these burps come out more easily.

4. Keeping upright x 30 minutes after eating
I honestly don't think I can commit to this at night.  But during the day, I will commit to this!  This means playing with him, or doing something to keep him upright.  If he falls asleep immediately afterward, resist the temptation to put him in the bassinet - let him sleep on me upright so gas can separate!

5. Baby wearing
Keeps baby upright, thus allowing gas to pass.  I will commit to wearing him at least once a day. He currently really likes the Moby vs. the Beco, so we'll go with the Moby for now.

6. warm bath at bedtime
The warmness, especially over his belly, is supposed to help expel gas. This is something new that we haven't done.  We've been bathing him about every 3 days or so.  But it's probably worth trying anyways.  Plus, we wanted to get this in our routine.

7. Simethicone drops
Helps consolidate small gas bubbles so they can be easily passed. Already doing this with AJ.  Will continue.  Seems to make enough of a difference when I forget to dose him. NEED to remember!

8. bicycle baby legs
This is now at "relief" vs. prevention.  Helps expel gas and/or makes him more comfortable.

9. belly-down patting
Another burp method actually (laying him across your lap and pat his back gently). Can aim his bottom upwards to promote gas leaving via that exit.

10. flexing legs towards face
Similar to the bicycle legs.  Flex his legs and push them upwards, towards his face.

11. tummy massage
clockwise massage to help expel gas.

12. Diligently avoiding gas-causing foods (me)
cruciferous veggies and dairy are the main things, but really anything else that causes maternal gas I'm avoiding also.

13. Asking for help
when I'm too tired and have gone through this laundry list and he's still crying/fussy, it's time to wake the husband and have him help too.

14. time
Realizing that immature bellies are also a primary reason for gas.  Knowing that this too will pass, and trying my best to keep my eyes on the prize.  Don't be too hard on myself.  Know that when I'm stressed, AJ will sense it and get stressed himself too, which is opposite of what I want.


No comments:

Post a Comment