I've always heard that breastfeeding mothers need to eat an extra 500 calories to sustain their milk production.
Well, I must say, for the first 4 weeks of AJ's life, I was so overwhelmed with learning newborn care that I completely forgot that I needed to feed myself. Literally, the only food that I ate was the bare minimum - a quick something for breakfast, a breakfast bar or something for lunch, a couple of sips of fluids here and there, whatever my parents brought over for our dinner (and I'd eat like 3 helpings of that!) and then a glass of water, if even that at bedtime.
Now that I'm over the shock and started to get a hang of things (really, it's week 6!) my body has apparently figured out that I've been cheating it of food. And it's starting to ask for more. As in, real meals please! And also I find that randomly want snacks now, and have become much more sensitive to dehydration.
Now before AJ arrived, M and I used to be foodies. We LOVED cooking. In fact, I never really viewed cooking as a chore. I thought of it as a form of release from the stresses of the day. Not that I don't love cooking anymore, but since AJ's arrived, I feel like that peaceful nap hour I get from him after feedings is a lot like that button on LOST - you've got a perpetual timer before doom happens. Not so conducive for the kind of cooking used to do. That, and the fact that there's a good amount of time the little raptor wakes up in a meltdown during his "peaceful" nap...or maybe he just plain won't go down for a nap, and now I'm down one arm holding him.
So, what do I do to feed myself? Here's some things that have worked for us so far.
1. Pre-package snacks
This doesn't have to come pre-packaged. I'm thinking carrots, snap peas, fruits, etc. I love these foods but just don't have the time to wash, peel, cut, prepare them to eat....so they rot in the fridge. New idea. We shop on weekends, so after I buy 'em, I have time (with M's help watching the baby) to prepare them and stick them in serving size bags. Healthy and convenient. OK fine, the unhealthy ones get packaged this way too. Win.
2. Do a little every time
After a 9 PM dinner a couple of weeks ago, I decided it was stupid to expect success in preparing and cooking an entire meal during his 7 PM nap. After all is said and done, the kid is awake, wailing, and demanding food...and my food goes cold. :( So be smart throughout the day - do a little whenever you get the chance. 9 AM nap - wash all the veggies 12 noon - cut them up 3 PM - marinate the meat. Etc. Obviously this doesn't work well if you're back at work, but it doesn't mean the same principles can't be applied the evening also. Take advantage of some of these when baby goes to bed.
3. Pre-plan meals
The best way to save time is to plan! I used to do this in college with my roommate - we'd have a board on the fridge with the meals we're planning that week, like a cafetaria schedule. In fact I did this with M too, when we moved into this house. A lot of people, including our parents made fun of us, but it just makes sense, especially for grocery shopping - really streamlines the process, and also reduces a lot of stress of figuring out what's for dinner
4. Crock pot
The easiest way I can think of that makes delicious healthy meals. It's also a huge pot, so it can make multiple meals.
5. Batch foods
Crock pot goodies, lasagnas, etc. The more the merrier! Actually, the more the less work :)
6. Save leftovers for lunch
We've always done this for work, but I find that this is now crucial. Cause when there's nothing to eat, I tend to reach for things like breakfast bars. No good. Just cook a little more dinner than needed and you'll have leftovers. Plus, I've always found that it's easier to cook for 4, than for 2.
7. Grown-up sippy cups
Sounds silly, but sometimes, reaching for that glass of water can be hazardous with a flailing newborn! Cups with straws or water bottles encourage me to drink more water, and also prevents spills!
8. Foods that you can eat with one hand, in several bites
Every day for breakfast, I eat a muffin. Not cause it's super healthy (it's a chocolate one by the way), but because I can polish it off in 4 bites without creating extra dishes to wash. I know this is not the best breakfast food, but the reality is, if there's not something "easy" to eat, or if someone isn't making breakfast for me, then the most likely scenario is, I'd skip breakfast. We do what we can.
Hopefully that is helpful to all the other new moms finding creative ways to feed themselves :)
No comments:
Post a Comment