Sunday, June 23, 2013

All about the snot

Pre-mommy me would have never guessed how awesomely satisfying it is to suck out baby snot.  Yeah yeah yeah, it's gross I know.  But something about the satisfaction of getting something that's lodged deep within the dark, mysterious nasal passageways of my 2 month old is soooo rewarding. Sort of like getting to a prize at bottom of the cereal box.

Well anyways, before I gave birth to AJ, I really gave no thought to snot sucking.  I'd always heard about bulb aspirators that you suction stuff with, and assumed we'd use that to suction his nostrils when the time came.  

Then I saw this image on the internet and cannot un-see it anymore.  Sorry, neither can you, so look away if you're not into gruesome discoveries.  I won't be offended. 


Ugghhhhhh.  I guess there's not great ways to clean these things???


Despite that, we still went ahead and tried to use it to suction out AJ's boogers.  But I discovered that those little bulb aspirator...they SUCK.  At sucking. 

I'd heard about other weird contraptions that people have bought for booger-sucking.  Even saw on a friend's baby registry that they have electronic ones (WTF mate?).  I felt stupid spending loads of money on a contraption whose primary purpose was to suction boogers, so I used my trust Amazon instincts to find a nice product with good reviews.  And I landed on Nose Frida.  

Nose Frida is a nasal aspirator that is powered by your sucking with your mouth.  As in like this picture below.


Before you get too grossed out, hear me out on why this is NOT as disgusting/horrible as it seems.

1.  There's a filter that exists between your tubing and the blue collection tube, so in theory, nothing dirty ever reaches your mouth.  Everything collected stays in the collection tube, awaiting disposal.

2. Even if something nasty got through the filter (highly unlikely unless your baby has an entire TUBE full of wet snot), it has to travel 1 foot of tubing before reaching your mouth

3. The tip of the aspirator rests outside of the baby's nostril, so it's A LOT LESS irritating than a bulb aspirator, which you'd have to stick inside of the baby's nostrils.  Every time we've tried using the bulb aspirator AJ cried up a storm, but he rarely produces more than a peep when I suction him with our Nose Frida

4. It's cleanable.  As in you can actually clean it.  And it's really easy to clean. And dishwasher safe.

5.  The filters are disposable, so you can just toss 'em and replace 'em as you go.

6.  SO. MUCH. MORE. EFFECTIVE than a bulb syringe.


In closing, I leave you with a picture of AJ being Nose Frida'd.



No comments:

Post a Comment