Friday, June 28, 2013

Book Review: The Second Nine Months



I bought this on the Kindle after having read the last book that I read, which turned out to be a little bit too sarcastic for me (which, to me, means trying too hard).  Anyway, the reason that I bought this book (and started reading at all) was because I was getting sort of obsessed with reading bad stuff on the internet, as in googling crap about sleep training, symptoms of autism,  reading news articles about neglected children in third world countries, you know, the BAD stuff. And when I wasn't doing that, I was getting pretty obsessed with trying to figure out what all this parenting philosophy stuff was (you know, like Baby Wise, Attachment parenting, etc).  All this resulted in some icky insomnia, which we all know, new moms DO NOT need. To resolve my problem, I decided that reading something funny every night before going to bed might just be my remedy.

This book was definitely what I was looking for.

It's one woman's account on the 9 months following the birth of her daughter.  It's written like a memoir and chronicles all the most hilarious moments as well as the darkest moments.  I felt like I could really relate to the author who before having her daughter, was a gal who pretty much had everything together - whether it be work, relationships, or personal life, but had her life flipped upside down when her daughter came into the world.  She talks about tough subjects like her relationship with her husband and how it's changed.  She recalls how much anxiety she dealt with bringing her daughter to lunch at Red Robin with her for the first time.  She tells honest experiences like how her daughter fell off the swing and cried for ten minutes alone and she didn't know because she was busy checking her e-mail.  She bold admits that she didn't immediately fall in love with her child.  

I guess the reason I love this book is because it's like talking to another new mom.  You wanna hear about what she's experienced, but don't necessarily want advice from her. Glembocki's got this new mom thing down.  Every time I read a chapter, I started to wonder if she was describing my kid.  I did a lot of nodding along as she described her adventures.  

This is a book I'd recommend to all my new mommy friends, especially those of you in the early weeks who can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet.  Go, get it and you'll get a breath of fresh air, realizing it that it's NOT JUST YOU who thinks motherhood is hard.  It really is.  Future mommies, this might be a good read too, but I have a feeling that you won't learn to appreciate it until you're a few weeks knee deep in mustard colored poop before you'd appreciate it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment