Thursday, July 11, 2013

Back to work

I survived my first day back at work!

0500
AJ sort of knew something was happening.  He woke up 2 hours early today for a feeding.  Which promptly produced panic on my part.  I have to find enough milk for another feeding!  Brewing in anxiety over this, I couldn't go back to sleep and instead laid in bed for one hour perusing FB swap and sale pages.

0630
In my usual jump-to-turn-off-the-alarm style, I got out of bed and scurried downstairs to milk myself clean.  To my dismay, I was so stressed about this that I only pumped a dismal 2 ounces.  2 OUNCES from me, the perpetual over-supplier. I swear I've released more in one letdown attempt before.  FAIL.

0715
45 minutes later, I'm all dressed and ready to head out the door,  I'm proud that I'm put-together enough to find myself a matching outfit that's clean and not made of Spandex.  I'm sporting one of my new Maxi skirts today. I'm proud of myself, cause I actually feel pretty good about how I look.  The second I head out the door, I hear AJ crying in his crib. M basically shoves me out of the door to go to work.

0800
I walk through the doors of AWC 50% super excited to see co-workers and go back to doing something I'm really good at.  The other 50% of me is wishing that I'm at home with my little boy.  Hey, at least I managed not to cry on the 40 minute drive there and die in a fiery car wreck.  That would suck.

0810
Seconds after I discover that my e-mail password still works, I discover 1224 unread e-mails in my inbox.

0910
My co-worker Tya who is also a new mommy gives me tips on pumping at work.  "Put a sign on the door.  But remember to put it on the door knob.  Or people will come in." "Don't worry about cleaning the pump parts, just wipe them down.  There won't be 6 hours in between your pump sessions and breastmilk is good for 6 hours anyhow from its antimicrobial properties."  Sometimes, I feel guilty that I leach so much advice from her and have so little to return. haha.

0945
I have my first "meeting" of the day with my coworker Tanya.  I pump under hooter hiders while we talk business.  She marvels at all the gadgets and things I have with my pump to make life easier.  I must be turned on by work talk, because I make a respectable 6 ounces within 5 minutes.

1200
Meeting #2.  Boy, I missed a lot when I was gone for 12 weeks.  I also learn that there's a huge list of stuff for me to do when I'm ready.

1300
I realize that it's been 3+ hours since I've pumped.  It's my 30 min lunch now and I'm sure that I'll make lots. To my dismay, I pumped a lousy 2 ounces AGAIN :(  I tell myself not to fret.  There's probably a reason.  Perhaps I didn't hydrate enough?  Or likely the stress of work was already getting to me... I call my dad  to check in and find that the little man has been sleeping like a log and smiling away when he was awake.  This comforts me.

1530
With one last 15 min break, I crack at it again, and lo and behold make 4 ounces out of one!  I decide to leave the other one alone, knowing my baby will be hungry when I come home.

1800
After being stuck in traffic for nearly 1.5 HOURS I'm FINALLY home!  Little boy is happy to see me, and indeed hungry :)  I'm proud of myself for surviving day one, and celebrate it by giving baby lots and lots of kisses.

Turns out he was great for grandpa the whole day.  That's my boy.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment