Friday, July 26, 2013

Graduation from swaddling

Every book/article/internet site/Halo sleesack tag that I've read about swaddling suggests that the best time to stop swaddling is around the time that baby starts to roll over (which experts agree is sometime after the 4th month).  Makes sense.  If your baby rolls over onto his belly, he's going to need his hands to help him  get out of the face plant situation so he can breathe and continue to live.

So that was originally our plan.  Discontinue swaddling at around 4 months, or when he rolls over.

We've been using either the Halo sleepsack swaddle or the SwaddleMe swaddles to swaddle him since he was born.  Why?  1) they are SUPER easy to deal with, and considering that swaddling is often a middle-of-the-night duty, super easy is necessary.  2) I'm really not that good at achieving a tight swaddle with the traditional blankets anyway.

Recently, I realized that Halo makes sleepsack swaddles only up to the 3-6 month size (up to 26 inches in length).  SwaddleMe's large is about the same size.  About a week and a half ago, AJ's heels starting pushing on the ends of those blankets which made him...you guessed it, ANGRY.

Well if he's going to be angry anyway, might as well try unswaddling now.

Over the past week, while I've been working, I've been super hesitant to try unswaddling completely. Since you know...have a few uninterrupted hours of sleep during the workweek is sort of nice.  So we went ahead and went up to the next size in the Halo sleepsack (6-12 month) but continued to Bat Wing his arms in (see my May post about what Bat Winging is).

Well, yesterday morning, we found our Houdini like this in the morning.


You have to look hard, but basically, his right arm found its way out of the Bat Wing and out into the arm hole of the Halo sleepsack.

This morning, no arms out yet, but he basically wiggled his way out of the Bat Wing and his arms were freely doing what they want inside the sleepsack.  So after his AM feeding this morning, I just zipped him up and let his arms out.  No swaddling.

This is what is happening right now, 45 minutes after I put him down. Still sleeping!


Wish us luck.  We're gonna go 100% unswaddled all night tonight. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment