Saturday, July 27, 2013

Not Quite Ready Yet

Well, last night was the big night.  No swaddling.

Success?  Yes and no.

Without any form of swaddling, AJ slept from 11:30 to 4 without waking.  There was occasional stirring, but he did managing to soothe himself back to sleep (early, around 12AM).  In the grand scheme of things, I'd call this a fairly successful unswaddling attempt.  Fairly successful.

As the night progressed, he woke up at 4 AM, apparently starving for food.  This is 2.5 hours earlier than usual. I picked him up, fed him, and returned him to his crib.  Fine, no problems.  Maybe he was just randomly hungry?  Then at 5:30 AM, he started crying again, pretty loudly.  I asked M to rock him back to sleep, and he did.   Then at 6:45 AM, same cry again.  I walked over and discovered him wide awake, seemingly hungry.  I fed him and he seemed pretty satisfied, and went back to sleep.  I was frustrated though...I can't have him waking up every 1.5 hours...I NEED SLEEP!!!  Apparently going 5 weeks with him sleeping through the night has left me unable/unwilling to deal with this waking up business.  So now he's upstairs, asleep with the bat wings again.

The problem with all of this is I'm not sure what the real problem is... It could very well be:

  • Missing his 8PM nap (he always gets a good nap in before bedtime, weird, I know, but getting that nap in around 8 PM really helps him sleep well when we put him down at 11).  
  • He really is hungry - he doesn't eat well if he doesn't nap well, so I'm not sure if he actually ate very much at the last 2 feedings of the night
  • Growth spurt - could very well be a 3 mo growth spurt causing the waking at 4 AM...but that doesn't really explain why he woke up at 5:30, unable to soothe himself back to sleep...
  • Cold turkey unswaddling is just too much for him.  Maybe we need to do 1 arm at a time.
AJ's a pretty good sleeper, at least for the first stretch of the night, but he does tend to stir a lot after that first waking.  When his waking is at 6:30 though, I don't mind.  If it's gonna be like this and at 4 AM, I definitely mind.  Maybe the bat wing is really only needed at 4 AM then???

So we'll be at this again tonight.  Thank goodness I don't work weekends. We'll try unswaddling one arm out, and if that doesn't work, then I'll bat wing swaddle him again at 4 AM...I guess.

Oh yes, and I couldn't go back to sleep after his 3 wakings, so I googled weaning from swaddling.  Found this product which seems pretty cool, but I'm gonna stick to my trials first before deciding to shell out 35 dollars for this.  http://zipadeezip.com/

Stay tuned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment